Friday, August 29, 2008

Five Notable Things about This Morning's Ride

1. It was to return my mom's car, so I got two cups of coffee from my mom (nice, big, whole wheat cookie with each--I probably would have been kept to one when I was growing up, but I get the idea she's happy I'm back)
2. No wet roads, no rain--in fact, seven miles into the ride home, I got warm enough to take off the vest, and later the sun even came out (I jerk your beefaroni not)
3. Rode part of the course of this weekend's Almere Ironman, including the start-finish area with the gates and bleachers all set up; also saw several competitors exploring the courses (including the swim course)
4. The big Hollandse Brug was temporarily closed to bikes, so I had to take the special ferry. It slowed me down, but it was fun to be on the water
5. Coming off the ferry, I jumped on a passing moped (he had been on the ferry too). This is when I realized that I don't have legs. It should have been fairly comfortable, doing 30 behind the old guy's large coat, helmet, and saddle bags. But it was hard. Breathing the exhaust didn't make it any easier, but mainly I think the problem is that I haven't done this kind of riding in a while. I let him go after about a mile, maybe even less. I think I need more slow rides, and more rides where at times you have to turn your lungs inside out, switch off your brain, and push the legs to the point where they're about to fall off.

No comments: