Monday, November 17, 2008

A Very Fine Commute

If your normal departure time is so early that you still need lights, run into packs of school kids, and need an extra pair of eyes to survive the intersection of your bikepath with the massive and reckless foot traffic behind the Amsterdam Central Station, then a day like today is another world. Sunny, calm, cool but not cold--and I only needed to get on my way around 9:30. The road along the Vecht was quiet (as always), bright, and smooth; getting through Weesp was a breeze; standing up on the little climb up the railroad bridge outside of Weesp was a nice (albeit too short) lung-opener; and the bikepath alongside the Amsterdam Rijnkanaal was pretty empty. There were boats on the canal, which always makes it interesting; but in the city, there were very few bikes, and even fewer pedestrians behind the train station. I was sad to have to end my ride after 50-55 minutes and look forward already to the ride home in a couple of hours. Next up in commuting land: I'll bring my giant motorcycle chain lock to the city the next time I come in on the train, so that I don't have to carry any lock or cable with my any more (as I've been doing until now).

4 comments:

yooperprof said...

50/55 minutes does seem a tad long for a morning commute, but of course I'm spoiled by living in a small town and I'm sure the time goes quickly when you're doing something that you enjoy.

Ruud van Dijk said...

this is true; plus: virtually no snow, and no sub-zero (as in Fahrenheit) temperatures

monad man said...

how long is the train ride to your commuting destination?

Ruud van Dijk said...

The train leaves from a town (Weesp) about 6 miles from home and arrives at the Amsterdam Central Station, from where it is about a 10 minute walk to the history building. Via public transportation (bus, train, walk) I can get there within an hour, just as on the bike, except that when I ride, I need to shower and change.