Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Back to Commuting

We had a string of holidays the past week, so this morning was my first commute in a week. More normal spring weather has also returned. When I walked into our bathroom this morning, the rain was hammering the window. But the radar suggested that this was just the last gasp of a band of early morning showers, and when I got outside around 8:45 it was practically dry, which restored some of my faith in the reliability of the buienradar. I was wearing my SIDI winter shoes, just in case the roads were be very wet or I'd run into a stray shower, but I would have been fine without them. The wind was still there, but my route never goes in the same direction for very long, so it wasn't a real problem. Better legs this time of year also help. So everything was in order: virtually no traffic riding along the Vecht river; nothing much happening in Weesp; the usual boat traffic on the Amsterdam Rijnkanaal; easy approach to my Wednesday office near the IJtunnel through Amsterdam's Eastern business district. A thirty-mile day, and they can't take that away.

2 comments:

monad man said...

Rode a very slow 55 miles solo today. Stopped at Fiddleheads to buy a power scone (in honor of the author) but it was too late and they were sold out.

Ruud van Dijk said...

the early bird gets the power scone--that minister from Port probably got them all around 9 am