Friday, September 25, 2009

Better Commute

Another calm, mild fall day, perfect to ride home the long way (by way of IJburg and Muiden, instead of Weesp--this adds two miles). Had the wind at my back on the little climb up the Nescio bridge, and on the way down I put it in the big ring. With my new chain and cassette, I can use 53x19 without anything rubbing (on the old set-up, only the 17 and bigger would work well). I kept it there all the way into Muiden, doing probably around 20, but as I entered it someone passed me. Yes, another good rider, on a nice bike again. I got on his wheel as we rode through this little city slowly, and I stayed there as he accelerated leaving town. There, we passed another racing-bike-little-back-pack-commuter, but he did not get on the train. My guy didn't try to drop me, which given the nice, straighth and smooth bike path we were on might have been tough. But he did make me work harder than I do on my own on this bike. At the turn-off (Keverdijk) I thanked him for the ride, but he happened to go my way, so I sat on his wheel for two more miles. Then, it turned out he was also going to Nederhorst den Berg, my town. He lives on the outskirts, and I didn't get his name, but we did chat a little at the end. He's about to stop riding to work for the season and will switch to speedskating. He's in the local club. I've met others who are members, so maybe that should be my club on the ice too. I do need a club to make sure I get to the ice at least once a week.

No comments: