Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Another Hooky Ride, Finally

The weather has been bad, although it's been good for winter sports. This, winter sports, caused a problem two weeks ago, when I took a hard fall on the Amsterdam speedskating oval and separated my shoulder a little ("piano key injury"). The ice was bad that morning when we got on, and two showers consisting of a wintry mix of snow, rain, and sleet turned it into a very rough sandpaper. The stuff just seemed to freeze to the surface. Instead of getting off, I decided to do a few more laps, started to get very sloppy in a turn, and took myself down. I might as well have fallen off my bike, because there was absolutely no sliding of any kind. First I hit my right shoulder, then I did a kind of salto (someone who watched it told me later) to land on my knees (which were bloody and bruised). After that, I just lay there--no smooth sliding to the outer lane, hoping not to take anyone else down with you. It hurt, and after putting some ice on it (and taking a shower during which I sighed and swore a lot) we went to the emergency room where the x-ray showed a mild case of separated shoulder. (When I signed in, they still had my name, address, and phone number on file from when I had knee surgery there in 1985). That started almost two weeks of doing nothing, except keeping my arm in a sling part of the time and going for walks. But in week 2 things started to feel better, and when I saw the doctor, he spoke the now famous words: "if it doesn't hurt, do it." A little ride last Saturday to see how it felt, and today the roads were clean enough for a first 21 miler. It really didn't feel that unusal, considering that it was also only just above freezing with a decent breeze. I did my usual hooky loop (Vreeland, where the skating course looked just fine, Loenersloot, Abcoude, Weesp) and it took a little longer than normal, but a 17 m/h average isn't horrible. It felt very nice to be back outside, moving.

4 comments:

Buzzwindrip said...

This "hooky" post inspired me! In spite of the finite number of vacation days, it just seemed like the right day to do it. 3C and fairly calm wind, it felt good to get a ride in while the sun was high in the sky. Now I have to hold off on mid-week "hooky" days until the Bone Ride!

Ruud van Dijk said...

This time of year you need them the most, that's for sure. Were you able to go for 2-3 hours? Good for you for doing it the honest way! (I know people who just call in sick).

Buzzwindrip said...

Just over two hours. That seems to be enough at this time of year. And, calling in "sick" at my work place equals a day without pay, plus a disciplinary "point" added to our attendance record! Hard to believe any workplace even has a policy like that these days.

Ruud van Dijk said...

wow, you guys must be an especially untrustworthy and devious lot ...