Monday, September 20, 2010

Others on Other American Scares and Today

I'm far from the only one who has been reminded of other American scares amid the anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant furor these days. See, for example, George Packer at the New Yorker, who likens today's general public agitation to 1919-1920. The political debate does seem a little unhinged today, if you think about it. Focusing on the intersection of isolationism and war, Peter Beinart sees similarities with both 20th century Red Scares--and there's something to that also. Juan Cole, meanwhile, emphasizes the nativist angle and goes back even futher in U.S. history. Before I get more angry e-mails from people I don't know: I don't necessarily agree with all of these analyses and believe even less that these analogies prove that the U.S. is a rotten country--not free, not essentially tolerant. Least of all do I hate America. I don't have a passport, but put me with those American patriots anyway who get worked up during these "scares" because to them the behavior and ideas on display actually subvert important American ideals. But I'm a historian and happen to believe (call me crazy) that it's helpful to have a historical perspective on things. It can help you see similarities (today's developments as part of larger themes or trends throughout U.S. history) as well as differences. When I teach my "American Scares" seminar again, you can sign up and we'll take a close up look.

No comments: