Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First teaching day and four new bikes

Yes, sometimes the Cold War and cycling do go together (if you try a little): yesterday the Global Cold War and the Making of our Times class managed to meet after running into a double booking of its lecture hall. We had to improvise, but with the help of several kind people, we found an empty room nearby. The students were great sports, and it should be a good semester with them. We will soon add Blackboard to our conversations. How does cycling come into it? I rode in on my brother's city bike, missing all the showers on the way (though on the 10-15 minute ride to the history building after class I got pretty wet in my shirtsleeves), and I also stayed dry on the way home into the wind. They have a health club in our building which I joined for 200 Euros a year so that I can shower upon arrival from now on. I plan to go in three or four days a week when school is in session, so it should break down to a little over one Euro per shower). Do have to carry my clothes in a backpack, but that will just make me join the small army of people riding to work that way every day (even though on the bike paths they're still few and far between). I'll soon resemble them also because I'll be riding an old racing bike. Today our stuff finally came, including four bikes: the girl's bike, the old tractor, the Colnago, and the old Trek. The last one I plan to ride into the city from now on--if it survived the move inside its travel bag. Haven't taken the time to look yet because it's been non-stop boxes since the movers came this morning. But our three months of moving are almost at an end. It's about time.

No comments: