Thursday, February 12, 2009

Grind Week

Last week wasn't so good for doing the hour-long one way to Amsterdam (and a return trip at the end of the day), and this week wasn't a whole lot better, except that this week I went in four days in a row. I wasn't under the weather any more, and that's probably the main difference. The week really started with my return to the Whisper Power Sunday ride. The guys and I figured out that we had not wished each other a happy new year yet. We did our usual loop through the woods to Lage Vuursche (Saturday coffee ride there had been canceled due to rain), and back by way of Loosdrecht and the Alambertskade. I felt iffy and only really took one pull all day. Then for various reasons I saw no reason not to ride to Amsterdam on the next four days. I probably should have detected a reason on Tuesday, because I did check the radar that morning. It looked pretty good, much better than I had expected based on the forecast. Large areas of no rain over the middle of the country, and looking out the window it looked safe as well. But half-way, near Weesp, I rode into some light rain, and it didn't let up until I reached my building on the Singel gracht. Checking the radar again in my office, it was clear I had missed some small areas of showers positioned exactly over the Amsterdam area. I wear good winter stuff (eight winters as a cyclist in Milwaukee) so really didn't suffer much. Yesterday and this morning, however, I began to feel my legs. The wind wasn't too favorable either. It felt a little as if something was rubbing against my wheels. It really did take some work, although a couple of cool ships on the Amsterdam Rijnkanaal always helps to raise one's spirits. And both days ended well--yesterday with one of the better tailwinds I've had so far, today with calm, clear and not yet too cold early evening weather. And now I'm done--I'm taking the (riding) day off tomorrow and look forward to it.

2 comments:

yooperprof said...

If you really want to earn some street cred as a winter cyclist, you should spend December to February biking in Marquette! I'll take some photos of winter bicyclists here and post them on my blog.

Ruud van Dijk said...

there are many things I miss about the U.S., but cycling in U.S. winter weather (even in balmy Milwaukee) is not one of them!