Sunday, June 21, 2009

Funny Moment On The Sunday Ride

On the way to the medieval city of Oudewater, we're riding through the speck of a town called Blokland when up ahead on the narrow path we see what seem to be two other cyclists. That's always a moment of anticipation, because meeting other cyclists like that, you can get to ride with new people. Something different, and potentially something exciting. But as we get closer it turns out they're a middle-aged couple (Asian looking, if I remember correctly) out for a walk, wearing Rabobank cycling jerseys of the team's early period. You just never see that. They're cycling jerseys, and the Dutch care about sticking to what's supposed to happen. Unlike the much more easy-going Americans, they don't wear whatever feels comfortable. Instead, they wear what tradition requires you to wear in a given situation. Personally, all I could do was try to process this unusual sight. John, at the head of our three-man train, however, was more quick to the draw. As we rode by them, he called out: fietsen vergeten? (forgot your bikes?)

4 comments:

monad man said...

speaking of earlier days of rabobank -- can you tell me the height of 'the chicken'? in ft? thanks. he was being discussed on our father's day ride..

Ruud van Dijk said...

I probably could find out, but I think I first need to know more about how this question came up: Father's Day ride -- "the chicken" -- his height? (don't tell me the pace was low, I think that's pretty obvious)

monad man said...

yes the pace was slow, who cares? forget it, i'll look it up myself and do the metric to ft-inches conversion, sorry to have bothered the author

monad man said...

no conversion necessary, wikipedia did it for me, Michael Rasmussen is 5'-8.5". On the Father's Day ride, a guy named, Kelly said "the chicken" was under 6 ft and i did not believe him

The Father's Day ride was suppose to go all the way to Holy Hill but some of the Fathers did not have that much time. So we headed west past Granville on Friestadt, then noth on a road of the name I can't remember, then east, then north to Covered Bridge then back to Whitefish Bay.