Wednesday, December 2, 2009

First Salt of the Season

They put it on the bridges in Weesp, this morning. It had been clear last night, and I had been looking at the almost (one day short) full moon the whole way home from Amsterdam. When I got on my way today around 8am, it was mostly cloudy, and it didn't feel that cold. But better safe than sorry. Today was the first anniversary of my two falls due to iced-over bridges in downtown Amsterdam. It's that time of year. By now, I've pulled out all the winter gear, except for the balaclava. Hasn't been cold enough for that one. But I was happy this week to be wearing the thick tights and to have my gloves. This morning, looking over my shoulder as I was reaching the city, I could see the sun come up over some clouds just above the horizon, which was pretty; but when it was time to go home there was enough moisture in the air to make me take off my glasses. Wet weather, but not rain. In three weeks, the days will be getting longer again--not than today, but than December 21. It's something. Oh, and the whole way home I was thinking of how nice it would be to be able to bite into a big, juicy Qdoba burrito. No such luck in Holland, although rumor has it Chipotle is planning to expand into Europe. It would be nice to have that comfort food available, especially this time of year.

2 comments:

Buzzwindrip said...

I found this link to what may be an Amsterdam-based Chipotle wannabe:

http://vegetarianduck.blogspot.com/2009/11/tomatillo-overtoom.html

We may be seeing some salt in the next few days as well. There is a band of flurries descending on us, and the TV meteorologists are in full storm team mode. Winter begins!

Ruud van Dijk said...

Hey! I'm a bit embarrassed that you, over in Cudahy, WI, had to come up with that. It's not around the corner from where I work, but it's near to where Joan usually wants to go to the movies. This will improve her chances at regular movie nights. We'll go check it out some time soon. Even if it's good, it won't be like having Qdoba literally below our kitchen window, but at least there will be a place where this essential food group can be had.