Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Own Private Hooky Ride

It was calm, it was sunny, and it was not too cold. So even though I have stuff to do, I just had to take advantage, also because I'll be on the road for the next five days with no opportunity to ride or do much of anything else. So at 2:30 I sneaked out for a quick, hour and ten minute, 21 mile loop by way of Vreeland, Loenersloot, Baambrugge, Abcoude, and Weesp. It's all pretty, but you've got to love the little river Gein. All small ring, but still 18.3 average, which actually was a bit too fast given that I had just skated yesterday. It's good to ride after putting all that pressure on the legs, but it's important to be spinning. I was spinning today (39x15), but maybe just a little too fast. Must have been the weather. On the way into town I chased down my old neighbor Sabina, a year-round commuter, who had been skating this afternoon. She was riding the 10 miles home from the Amsterdam speed skating oval, because she knows the right way to enjoy yourself and stay in shape.

No comments: