Thursday, March 18, 2010

Big Day

A second cycling post in a row, but today happens only once a year: first day in shorts--yesssir! We got our first snow before Christmas, and since that time it's been miserable (certainly for these parts), with frequent snow and other wintry precipitation. Just last Monday I rode home, start to finish, in a cold rain that made me cranky all evening (from fatigue). Tuesday was better, and yesterday I cleaned my commuter (the very old 1992 Trek 2300) and my winter bike (the good old 2001 Klein) outside, without wearing a coat. It was a lot of work, even for a half-ass job. This morning at 8:30 it was chilly, but I was fine in my summer shoes, two long-sleeve layers and a vest, and no gloves. Tights still, of course. During the day it really warmed up. Lots of people in Amsterdam were sitting outside by the middle of the day, and the 60 or so degrees felt otherworldly. So there I went, around 5:30: shorts and very pale-looking legs. But pretty smooth. The shaving job of two weeks ago still made a difference. It was so mild that my two long-sleeve layers on top actually felt too warm. It was my third day back-and-forth this week, and this on top of a very good Saturday ride with the Eendracht boys (59 cold and windy miles) and my first 200 mile week of the year thanks to the Tuscany trip. So I wasn't exactly flying, but I did ride home the long way, and I certainly enjoyed myself.

No comments: