Thursday, April 29, 2010

Summer in April Cannot Last

But while it lasts, I have been enjoying it on the bike. Today is probably the high point, given the forecast, and the ride to work was really all you could ask for: almost 70, little wind, sunny. It was the first time this year that I had done the early morning part of the commute in shorts. As if that wasn't enough, it was also the first morning in short sleeves. The only un-summery part of my clothing was my vest, which I wore just in case but which turned out to be unnecessary. I felt particularly overdressed in it when, riding near IJburg, I ran into this old guy happily riding around shirtlessly. In all honesty, that was a bit of an exaggeration too. The old Trek is still in the shop, so I've been using the lighter, stiffer, better running Klein, and winter commuting is but a faint, hazy memory. We'll go back down to the 50s with a chance for rain (we need the rain) this weekend, so I'm sure I'll get a few reminders before summer really begins (and even then ...). But today, it's so nice, you could light a cigarette on the bike, or have it done for you. Why would a life-long non-smoker come up with an idea like this? Well, I just learned that some old cycling friends in Milwaukee, united these days in the Badger Velo Club, have recreated the famous "smoking cyclists" photo, taken probably in the 1930s or 1940s. They are not the first to think of this, but I think they've done the better job of it. Click the three links to judge for yourself.
Update: Riding home early tonight, I ran into the same old guy again, still without his shirt, and he didn't look any worse for wear. It was that kind of day, in April.

No comments: