Saturday, October 11, 2008

Perfect Little Ride

It was a day for a longer expedition, but there isn't always time, and there certainly isn't these days. Close to 2o degrees celsius (about 70 F), little wind, sun. A real gift in Holland in October. Did a loop through Vreeland, Kerklaan, Loenersloot, Baambrugge, Abcoude, and Weesp. Looked for the little road between Baambrugge and Abcoude that runs through the fields, but failed to cross the water, so I ended up back on the main road (still a nice road to ride on). Reaching Weesp I decided to go through town so that I could ride home along the Vecht river, the way I go on my commutes to Amsterdam now also (this as opposed to riding alongside the highway). It was there that I got passed, first, by a moped with two guys on it. It went a little too fast, so when the kid on the back just threw his empty can off to the side of the road, all I could do was shake my Dutch finger at him from a distance. But a second moped--only the rider--went a little slower, 27 to be exact. This I was able to confirm after making the jump to its rear wheel after a brief moment of hesitation. Had to do 29.9 (maximum speed for the ride) for 100 meters or so to get there. But I got there and it was great, even though we went our separate ways after half a mile at the Fort Uitermeer.

No comments: