Sunday, October 5, 2008

Two Small Windows of Riding Opportunity

And I did not take advantage, this weekend. The first chance, and best, was yesterday morning, when until I had to leave the house around 11 I probably could have gotten a completely rainless ride in. But I slept a little longer than I should have, then ate a full breakfast instead of just getting out, and after that the moment had passed. (The afternoon was mostly good too, but there were places to go, people to see--too many people, as during our two hours at IKEA). Today is very windy and wet, so we basically canceled the Sunday ride last night. And when I was up at 7:30 (briefly) the rain was definitely hitting the window. Yet, checking the radar around 10, it was clear that in our area, there was a decent gap between 8:45 and 10:45. The roads would have been wet, but there would not have been much water coming from above. Now, at 3:40 in the afternoon, it's just raining and raining and raining. The rain should move away later, but I doubt if it will happen before dark. In Holland in the fall, you really have to grab your opportunities whenever you can ("ride the weather," in Danny Chew's words), or you're stuck in the house or--to underline the lack of options--end up accompanying your spouse on her daily walk. This is not in accordance with the way a proper cycling Sunday should go.

1 comment:

steve said...

My Sympathies. I completely understand!