Friday, October 31, 2008

Winter Arrived

But it's the early 21st century Dutch winter, so it is relative. Still, I was a little unrepared for low 40s when I got on the bike early Tuesday morning, less than 24 hours after returning from the U.S. I was without gloves or a hat, which wasn't great, and the last 20 minutes into the city it also started to rain. A bit miserable, although I've seen much worse. It did mean another health hit, after the plane trip and time-difference, and in the course of the day I noticed an oncoming cold. You're supposed to listen to your body, and when it got to be time to go home, I really didn't feel like getting out there again, and the prospect of starting another commute at seven the next morning was even less appealing. There was also the chance of more rain, so I wimped out and took the train and bus home, and back again the next morning. Finished the riding Wednesday evening, this time wearing a balaclava and full gloves. I needed them--today also, when I rode in late (and pleasantly). That it has been a hard week I felt on the way home this afternoon, into a chilly East wind. Not much energy left. The good part in all of this is that if the past ten winters or so here are any guide, it probably won't get a whole lot worse this winter.

2 comments:

Buzzwindrip said...

While you were plunging into winter, we briefly crawled out of ours; two days in the 60's! Still, the shadows are long and hold plenty of chill, so arm warmers and wind vest were still part of the kit. It will be interesting to compare weather notes as the seasons progress.

Ruud van Dijk said...

we should be back up to 50 tomorrow, and no rain!