Thursday, December 25, 2008

It's 15.9 Miles

My commute between Nederhorst den Berg and the P.C. Hoofthuis at the Spuistraat and Raadhuisstraat in Amsterdam. Olaf and I did the ride this morning on quiet (though not deserted) roads. I pulled up all the way to the gate of my building, to see if the computer would move to 16.0, but it didn't. I'd still like to give myself 16 miles each way. Here's how: at the end of a ride I always round down (for example, at the end of last Saturday's coffee ride, I had 37.9 miles, but I have written down 37 for that day). So in the course of a year, I accumulate lots of change, so to speak, and I'd like to apply that to my daily commuting deficit of .2 miles. From now on, I'll add a little distance to each commute, so that this will no longer be necessary (on the way home, I'll do the Hinderdam--the road curving along the river to the left here, instead of the straight shot into town alongside the Spiegelweg--the road on the right). I hope this will be acceptable. To prove that Amsterdam is a real city, we found two cafes open near my building this Christmas morning at ten am, so we were able to turn this little jaunt into a coffee ride also.

7 comments:

monad man said...

ask Olaf if he can tape tv cyclo-cross events for us, i have a feeling he is more techno-capable then the author

Ruud van Dijk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruud van Dijk said...

funny that you'd ask, because he's looking for a dvd recorder--problem is, the European and U.S. tv technologies differ, so something taped here would not be playable (at least: viewable) over there--that's how it used to be with vhs; you will really have to come visit

monad man said...

why didn't you comment on my incorrect use of "then" it should have be "than", and how exciting was the race today? did you see Matter racing? he would be toward the back.....

Buzzwindrip said...

Yep, PAL/SECAM (Europe, etc) vs. NTSC (US, Canada, and west SA)is just one problem when it comes to TV format. Then, if I remember correctly, there are region code issues when it comes to DVD's burned in other countries. Maybe monad man can find some key CX footage archived on YouTube in the near future.

monad man said...

Glenn and Ruud -- when we lived in Seattle, our friend Glenn had a friend who lived in England and he would tape some world cup and world championship races for us, back then it was probably VHS. We don't know who how it got it to work back then? The problem with _YouTube_ is that the entire race is not covered...sorry to keep on with this thread and thanks for all your help.

Ruud van Dijk said...

no, this is great; the first time a post got this many comments--who cares if they're off topic (btw, the race was a little disappointing, because when a break without any of the big guys got away, nobody wanted to chase; still, it was nice after last week's mud fest to see a technical race on a frozen course)