Thursday, December 4, 2008

Treacherous Ride, Update

Piet is o.k.; when I reached him last night he said that if he had known how bad it was, he would not have taken the bike yesterday. Last night I kept reiterating my scorn for the city salt crew's late appearance until my wife finally told me to do something about it. Call the city, write the newspaper, but don't just complain about it at home. Nothing is going to change that way. So at 11 last night I e-mailed a letter-to-the-editor to the Amsterdam paper Het Parool about the whole affair, suggesting that they follow Milwaukee's example and anticipate this stuff. (In an article in today's paper, city officials claim crews had been out all night but that there was just no way to keep up). Injury update: hip and elbow are hardly worth mentioning, but the rib cage will continue to be a problem for a while, I'm afraid. Today I was running late for my train (indeed, I took a riding day off) and I tried to jog a little on the way to the train station. I'm not saying that was impossible, but I will say that it was so painful that I went back to walking immediately.

1 comment:

Buzzwindrip said...

Rib injury; ouch! I bruised mine the day after you left in late October, and pretty much spent the first weeks of November trying not to cough or sneeze. Riding was very painful as well. Hopefully you won't have to suffer for long.