Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Two Girls on a Moped

A slow one. I saw them stopped early tonight near the Schellingwouderbrug, where you can exit a little park onto the dike between the Amsterdam Rijnkanaal and the Nieuwe Diep. As they got going (no helmets, lots of trendy wool stuff around their necks and heads) I passed them thinking that if they managed to pick up a little speed, I could get a nice draft off them. They did catch up to me, and as they did they asked ("Sir"--I even look old now with a helmet and a balaclava) if I knew where "Steigereiland" was. I asked if it was in the new area, IJburg, that's still being built beyond the canal in the IJmeer, and they said yes. So I pointed them to the bicycle bridge across the canal 500 meters or so up the road. They could get to IJburg there. They thanked me and accelerated past, but slowly enough for me to get that draft. We probably weren't even doing 25, but I still enjoyed my first moped-paced stretch on the commuter, with its fenders, mudflap, 28 wide tires, rack, and what have you.

No comments: