Friday, January 2, 2009

Eventful First Ride of the Year

The temperature was above freezing today, and around noon the sun came out, so it seemed a perfect opportunity to start working on a higher annual total than the 5572 miles I logged in 2008. Just did a quick 21 mile Abcoude loop, also to inspect the ice conditions in those parts. I can report that there are still large open areas in the Vecht river; that in spite of its having been frozen since last weekend the Vreeland ice rink is still closed, but that the one in Baambrugge is open; that there seem to have been people both on and through the ice in the Angstel river between Loenersloot and Abcoude; that there have been skaters on the Gein river north of "de Vink," but that the last half mile to the Gaasp is completely open; and that the Vecht between Weesp and Nederhorst den Berg has an absolutely beautiful layer of ice on it. We need a week of very cold nights and moderately cold days to be able to skate in all these places, but looking at the forecast I don't think we're going to get it. On the Amsterdam Rijnkanaal approaching the bridge near Kerklaan: a big ship with shipping containers stacked two high headed north for Amsterdam. After my loop through Kerklaan and up the bridge, it had just gone underneath. Looking over at the canal after Loenersloot, it had pulled even with me again, and I wondered if I'd be able to see it when I crossed the canal back, a couple of miles north, near Weesp. The boat had the nearly straight line to this next bridge, but I, in spite of my winding route along the little rivers, presumably had the speed. At first I thought no, but when I looked over at the canal riding alongside the Gein river after Abcoude: there it was again. I did beat it to the Weesp bridge, but that boat was making good time!

No comments: