Monday, January 26, 2009

The U.S. and Germany--Germany and the U.S.?

The first part of the title is covered nicely in Roger Cohen's column today. However, we don't read a lot about how Germany could contribute to a more productive transatlantic relationship. I just did a piece on this myself, wondering if "Europe" will be able to band together and line up in support of U.S. leadership under Obama. (Everyone wants Obama to succeed--but will Europeans put their money where their mouths are, for example in Afghanistan, when the time comes, as it surely will?). Cohen is good at pointing out how the U.S.-German relationship has worked during the Cold War and how Germany continues to be a crucial partner in Europe. But there isn't too much about, for example, anti-Americanism in Germany today, or about support for Putin's Russia there. I agree, there's still much more that unites Germany and the rest of Europe with the United States than divides them. And we'd all be much worse off if we went our separate ways in the world. In fact, the word desperately needs the "West" to act together where possible. But the relationship needs work, and the work needs to be done on both sides of the Atlantic. Let's watch how Obama handles the transatlantic relationship; but let's also watch the European response. (Where's John Vinocur when you need him?)

3 comments:

yooperprof said...

I'm guessing that its going to be Mrs. Clinton who will be doing a lot of the "grunt work" in mending fences this year. I wonder how well she will get on with the current generation of European leaders. My hunch is that she will engage readily with the German Chancellor, maybe not so much with the French President.

Ruud van Dijk said...

but that Sarkozy is a charmer, and we know that Hillary has a weak spot for charmers (she even married one); I think you're right, but I have a feeling that her message may be that now that we're different again in the U.S. (the way you, Europeans like us better), how about a little more unity in Europe, and a little more cooperation from Europe (you want Mr. Obama to succeed--how about putting some of your money where your mouths are)?

monad man said...

I decided today, while I was ski-ing, that I will try to learn the names of European and other countries leaders. I am not very good with names nor languages (not any, even my own) but this is my goal so that I am less US-centric. Listening to podcasts like that of The Economist helps. I heard them talk to John Hutton -- not sure I agree with that guy, but then I am not the secretary of defense of any country. I guess if that is your job, you got to be looking out for bad guys all the time!
Thanks for your blog, here too I will learn the names of leaders and other things.